Last Update: November 12, 2018
PLEASE READ THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT CAREFULLY.
This policy describes the types of information Abiomed may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit our websites, including Abiomed.com, AbiomedAcademy.com, AbiomedSpeakers.com, ProtectedPCI.com, Impella.com, and ImpellaConnect.com (the "Websites") or when you fill out a form, tell us your story, or contact us through the Websites, and explains how we collect, use, maintain, protect, and, in some circumstances, disclose that information.
Certain information we collect is necessary to complete our contractual or legal obligations, others is required for us to operate the Websites. In some instances, the information we collect may be done only with your consent.
The information we receive, and how we use it, depends on what you do when visiting our Websites, how your browser is configured, and what information you provide to us. We collect and use your personal information differently than your non-personal information (information that is not identifiable to you personally).
WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Personal information is information we collect through our Websites that we can use to specifically identify you, such as your:
- Telephone number
- E-mail address
- Medical device serial number
- Personal health information
- Work history
- Date of birth
We also collect your IP address when you use our website, which in some circumstances can be considered personal information. Other than the IP address, we do not automatically collect personal information, though in some places on our Websites you have the opportunity to send us such information about yourself. For example, you may fill out a registration form, a survey, an e-mail form, or choose to share your story.
HOW DO YOU COLLECT INFORMATION ABOUT ME?
Information You Give Us:
Abiomed receives and stores information you enter on the Websites or give us in any other way.
Examples of the information you may give Abiomed includes:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on the Websites, including your name, email address, mailing and billing addresses, telephone numbers, user names and passwords, and zip codes
- Information you provide when you contact us through the Websites or by email
- Information you provide when you submit your story to the Websites
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including postal and email addresses), if you contact Abiomed
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes
- Your search queries on the Website
We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, keeping you informed of news and information about Abiomed, customizing future visits to our site, improving our Websites or products, and communicating with you.
If you do not want us to have this information, you can choose not to provide it to us, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of Abiomed’s services or features. See “What Are My Choices?”
Automatic Information We Collect:
As you navigate through and interact with the Website, Abiomed may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- The Internet Protocol addresses associated with you
- The User Agents associated with your Browser
- The parts of the Website that you visit and what you do while you are there
The information Abiomed automatically collects does not include your name or other directly personal data, but we may maintain or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways.
Why Do We Collect this Information Automatically? The automatically collected information helps Abiomed improve the Websites and to deliver a better and more personalized service, by enabling Abiomed to:
- Recognize you when you return to the Website
- Estimate Abiomed audience size and usage patterns
HOW DOES ABIOMED KEEP AND USE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may keep and use personal information we collect from you through our Websites to provide you with access to the Websites. In addition, Abiomed may keep and use your personal information to:
- Respond to your requests
- Personalize your access to our website, for example, by telling you about new features that may be of interest to you
- Develop records, including records of your personal information
- Contact you with information that might be of interest to you, including information about clinical trials and about products and services of ours and of others
- Use to analyze research, develop and improve programs, products, services and content
- Protect our rights or property
- Protect someone’s health, safety or welfare
- Comply with a law or regulation, court order or other legal process
- Evaluate you for employment or other business relationship if you apply for a position with Abiomed
In some instances, we de-identify or aggregate data by removing personal information (such as your name, e-mail address, social security number, etc). Once de-identified or aggregated, the data is no longer attributed to a single unique individual. De-identified or aggregated information is non-personal information that we may treat like other non-personal information.
DOES ABIOMED EVER SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES?
Abiomed values the information it has about its customers, and is not in the business of selling it to others. We do occasionally need to share your information for the purpose of conducting our business with you or to comply with legal obligations. For example, under certain circumstances, Abiomed may need to disclose collected personal information in order to:
- Disclose to trusted third parties, who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential, to support our business, and to use it only for the purposes for which we discloses it to them
- Comply with any court order, law, legal process, or to respond to any government or regulatory request, including requests related to laws outside of your country of residence
- Carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us
- Protect the rights, property, or safety of Abiomed, its employees, customers, or others
- Enforce our terms and conditions
- Permit us to pursue available remedies and/or limit the damages that we sustain
- Fulfill our recordkeeping obligations and practices
- Fulfill any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information
- Comply with your instructions or, if allowed to do so, with your consent.
We may also need to provide the collected personal information to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Abiomed’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Abiomed about its Websites’ users is among the assets transferred.
CAN I SHARE MY STORY ON THE WEBSITE?
Our Websites allows you to share your stories or make other contributions to our Websites (“User Contribitions“). These stories may then be published or displayed on public areas of the website. By agreeing to share your story, you are agreeing that the information can be made public. Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Please be aware that we cannot control the actions of other users of our Websites with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
WHAT IS NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION?
If you visit our Websites to read or download information, such as information about a health condition or about one of our products, we may collect certain non-personal information about you from your computer. This information is collected from your computer’s web browser. If you only read or download information on our website, we do not collect or learn your name, e-mail address, home address, or other information directly identifying you.
“Non-Personal Information” is any information about you that does not reveal your specific identity, does not directly relate to an individual, and cannot be readily connected back to an individual such as:
- Browser and device information
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Demographic information and other similar information provided by you
- Usage Data including information about how you use our Websites
- Information from referring website
- Marketing and Communications Data including your preferences in receiving marketing from us and your communication preferences
- Your Zip Code, Postal Code or Area Code when they are not connected to other Personal Information
- Aggregated information
- Personal information that has been de-identified
WHAT DOES ABIOMED DO WITH NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Because non-personal information cannot identify you or be tied to you, there are no restrictions on the ways that we can use or share non-personal information. We will use non-personal information from you to help us make our Websites more useful to visitors. We also will use non-personal information for other business purposes. For example, we may use non-personal information or aggregate de-identified personal information to:
- create reports for internal use
- develop programs, products, services or content
- customize the information or services that are of interest to you
- share it with or sell it to third parties
- provide aggregated “traffic statistics” and “response rates” to third parties
Under some circumstances, we also collect information about your use of our Websites by using what are known as browser cookies. Cookies are small text files that are saved to your computer automatically and that store certain settings and data to share with our system about your browser. Cookies help us to improve our Websites and to be able to offer you a better service more tailored to you by recognizing your device and making pre-settings available to you. In general, a cookie contains the name of the domain from which the cookie data was sent as well as information about the age of the cookies and an alphanumerical identifier.
In the cookies we use, only the data explained above about your use of the Websites will be stored. There is no association with you personally. Instead, an identification number is assigned to the cookie (“cookie ID”). The cookie ID will not be connected with your name, your IP address or with similar data that would allow the cookies to be connected with you.
If you do not wish to use browser cookies, you can set up your browser so that the storage of cookies is not accepted. Please note that in this case you may only be able to use our Websites to a restricted extent or not at all. If you only want to accept our own cookies, but not the cookies of our service providers and partners, you can choose to block third-party cookies in your browser settings.
MIGHT I ENCOUNTER ANY THIRD PARTY COOKIES?
Abiomed does not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
WHAT ABOUT GOOGLE ANALYTICS?
This technology allows website visitors who are already interested in our Websites to be addressed with advertising on our partners’ websites. The inclusion of this advertising on our partners’ websites takes place using cookie technology and an analysis of previous browsing behavior. This analysis is carried out using a pseudonym. No usage profile is connected with your personal data.
By using this site, you agree to the processing of data about you by Google in the manner described above and for the aforementioned purpose.
You can prevent data collection by Google Analytics by clicking on the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. This places an opt-out cookie, which prevents the future collection of your data when visiting this (or other) websites. This opt-out cookie must be stored permanently on your computer. If you delete this cookie or it is deleted automatically via browser settings, you will have to install this opt-out cookie again when visiting our Websites in the future.
WHAT CHOICES DO I HAVE?
You can always choose not to input your information, even though it might be needed to take advantage of our services.
You can decline to accept cookies, set your browser to block cookies, or erase our cookies from your computer, though doing so may prevent some aspects of our Websites from working properly.
You can prevent data collection by Google Analytics by clicking on the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. This places an opt-out cookie, which prevents the future collection of your data when visiting this (or other) websites. This opt-out cookie must be stored permanently on your computer. If you delete this opt-out cookie or it is deleted automatically via browser settings, you will have to install this opt-out cookie again when visiting our Websites in the future.
If you no longer want to receive email or other mail from Abiomed, please press the unsubscribe button on any of our emails or contact us at email@example.com.
If you want to exercise your rights over your data pursuant to GDPR or any similar law, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT ABOUT PRIVACY ON WEBSITES LINKED FROM ABIOMED.COM?
We may provide links to other companies on our Websites. These external website addresses contain information that was published by organizations that are independent from us. They are used to provide additional information as a service for visitors to our website.
DOES ABIOMED EVER COMMUNICATE DIRECTLY WITH VISITORS TO THIS WEBSITE?
We may contact you periodically by e-mail, mail or telephone to provide information regarding programs, products, services and content that may be of interest to you. In addition, some of the features on the Websites allow you to communicate with us using an online form. If your communication requests a response from us, we will send you a response via e-mail. The e-mail response or confirmation may include your personal information, including personal information about your health, your name, address, etc. We cannot guarantee that our e-mails to you will be secure from unauthorized interception.
ARE THERE SPECIAL RULES ABOUT CHILDREN'S PRIVACY?
Abiomed cares about protecting the online privacy of children. We will not intentionally collect any personal information (such as a child’s name or e-mail address) from children under the age of 13. If you think that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
WHAT ABOUT WEBSITE SECURITY?
We secure our Websites and other systems through technical and organization measures against the loss, destruction, access, amendment or distribution of your data by unauthorized persons. You should keep in mind that no Internet transmission is ever 100% secure or error-free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from this site may not be secure, and you should therefore take special care in deciding what information you send to us via e-mail.
HOW LONG DO YOU KEEP MY DATA?
We only keep your personal data for as long as necessary, and for the purposes for which we collected it.
CAN I ACCESS, CORRECT OR DELETE MY DATA?
You may send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to access, change or delete information if we believe that doing so would violate any law or legal requirement, cause the information to be incorrect, or if we are not legally obligated to so.
If you wish to delete your User Contributions from the Websites please email us at email@example.com, but please be aware that copies of your User Contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or might have been copied or stored by other website users.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of the Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding Abiomed’s disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a European Union resident, or are otherwise a data subject covered by the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or similar laws in other countries, you may have certain rights in relation to your Personal Information. Such rights may include the right to:
- Request access to your Personal Information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the Personal Information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the Personal Information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
- Request erasure of your Personal Information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove Personal Information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You may also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your Personal Information where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your Personal Information to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
- Object to processing of your Personal Information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also may have the right to object where we are processing your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
- Request restriction of processing of your Personal Information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your Personal Information in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data’s accuracy; (b) where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Request the transfer of your Personal Information to you or to a third party. This enables you, or a third party you have chosen, to seek to have your Personal Information provided in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
- Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your Personal Information. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
You will not have to pay a fee to exercise any of these rights. However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
We try to respond to all legitimate requests in a timely manner. Occasionally it may take us longer if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated. We may also need to contact you about your request to verify your identity, confirm certain information, or clarify the request before we can fulfill the request.
If you are a European Union resident, or are otherwise a data subject covered by GDPR or a similar law and would like to exercise these rights, or if you have questions about your rights please contact us at email@example.com.
HOW DO I CONTACT YOU?
22 Cherry Hill Drive
Danvers, MA 01923
Data Protection Policy
Tel.: +1 978.646.1400
Fax: +1 978.777.8411