Protected PCI Programs: Training with the Impella 2.5™ Heart Pump
Training and education are key components of Protected PCI™ programs using the Impella 2.5™ heart pump.
Who Should Be Trained?
Successful Protected PCI programs aim to train everyone involved in the Protected PCI program and include:
- Cardiovascular surgery staff
- Perfusion staff
- Cardiovascular nurses and technologists from the cath lab who assist with the set-up and insertion of the Impella 2.5 device
- Critical care nurses who care for the patient, monitor the device, change tubing and troubleshoot alarms
- ICU staff who accommodate the acute needs of Protected PCI patients, troubleshoot alarms, titrate drips and fulfill charting requirements
- Pharmacists who develop heparin drip protocols for the Impella 2.5 device, provide dextrose solution to the cath lab and handle orders for pre- and post-procedure care
- Clinical Nurse Navigators who provide education and follow-up for patients
- Coding and billing for reimbursement codes for the insertion, care and removal of the Impella 2.5 device
- Clinical Nurse Educators who establish training and competency-based evaluation
What is Learned?
- The technical specifications, appropriate use and functionality of the Impella 2.5 catheter
- Set up, insertion and use of the Impella 2.5 device
- Management of the Impella 2.5 device
- Protected PCI patient selection and management
What Training is Available?
Abiomed, Inc. offers a thorough Impella 2.5 training program for physicians and hospital staff that includes:
- General training on Impella 2.5 set-up and operation
- Onsite, hands-on training for small groups of physicians and staff to practice using the Impella 2.5 device
- Proctored case training facilitated by an Abiomed Clinical Specialist and conducted on site for physicians and staff during actual cases utilizing the Impella 2.5 device
- Clinical support and troubleshooting during actual cases utilizing the Impella 2.5 device
- Online testing focusing on placement of the Impella 2.5 device in the ventricle, care during use, and device removal techniques
- Quick skills videos
- Print and web-based educational materials including appropriate indications, contraindications and important safety information concerning the the Impella 2.5 device
- Education on device management
- Console simulator
- 24/7 clinical and technical support through an Emergency Clinical Support Hotline
- Physician certification
- Refresher training to maintain skills among physicians and staff
- Reimbursement hotline
- Business reviews
A multidisciplinary approach to Impella 2.5 training allows this device to be used in a variety of settings. The Impella 2.5 team will be happy to help you customize your training program to suit your needs.
To learn more about the Impella® platform of heart pumps, including important risk and safety information associated with the use of the devices, please visit: abiomed.com/important-safety-information